Re: Raw Disk Partition vs. Unix File System (Oracle 6)

From: Todd Richmond <todd_at_storm01.aadt.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 18:06:45 GMT

In article <CBuyrL.DLo_at_cbnewse.cb.att.com>, cafe_at_cbnewse.cb.att.com (richard.dib) writes:
|> Hi There:
|>
|> We have a database in Oracle, and in order to speed it up we are considering
|> moving it into a raw disk partition (Unix).
|>
|> Here are my questions:
|>
|> - Does anybody have any experience with Oracle using a raw disk partitition
|> instead of the Unix file system? Could you share your experiences?

We are using raw partitions on HP 9000/8xx machines for several production systems. We have had no problems since moving to 7.0.12 of Oracle.

|> - What are the benefits? Is the improvement in performance worth the work?

Our informal benchmarks showed a small increase over UNIX file systems.

|> - How easy would it be to backup this database? We are currently using a shell
|> script to do this.

We use Oracle to backup the data.

|> Thanks,
|>
|> Richard Dib
|> AT&T BL

| Todd E. Richmond            |"Kicking and screaming will the |
| American Airlines           | foolish be dragged into the    |
| Decision Technologies, Inc. | 21st century . . ."            |
| E-mail: todd_at_aadt.com       |                                |
| Voice:  817-967-1872        |                                |