Re: extents exxceeded ?? ( need help )

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlog.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 15:26:10 GMT

In article 10837_at_njitgw.njit.edu, yxc1612_at_hertz.njit.edu (yung-feng chang me stnt) writes:
>Dear netters:
>
> One user get following message while he is running a query.

                                                             ^^^^^
[...]
>ORA-01556 maximum number of 121 extents exceeded.
>
> No matter what max extent or extent size I increase, it seem that
>121 is "ceil"??
>
> I find lots fragnments on that tablespace. Is this cause problem?
>If so, how to remove those fragnments. If not, what cause this problem?

I'm about the make a assumtion based on the original post, if it is wrong please ignore the rest of this reply. :-}

Your are getting this error on a query no updates/inserts. (Assumption)

The only tables that a query extents would be a sort table. If you can see that the TS is fragmented then you must be dealing with a TS that has regular files in it. The first thing to do is confirm all this via dba_users look at the TEMPORARY_TABLESPACE field. Idealy you want to create a temporary TS for exactly these kind of sorts with large initial/Next settings ie) 1M+.

Of course you still have to do something about the fragmented TS. If it is a regular TS export that data and recreate. But if it is the System tablespace you have to recreate the DB and make sure that no one is used SYSTEM as a TEMPORARY_TABLESPACE.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker Hughes Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com