Re: Oracle on Solaris 2.2

From: Steve Essery <sessery_at_lucifer>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1993 07:58:46 GMT

csoderbe_at_garond.cray.com (Curt Soderberg) writes:
:
: In article <Aug.10.15.26.47.1993.22038_at_romulus.rutgers.edu>, shoopak_at_romulus.rutgers.edu (-r.) writes:
: > Hi there. We're running 7.0.12 on a Sparc 10 under Sol 2.2, but it
: > seems that the SQL*Net V1 server doesn't quite understand /etc/sqlnet.
: > Actually, I'm running NIS+, and was wondering whether any of you out
: > there have come across a problem setting up oracle under NIS+.
: >
: On page 23-4 of the Oracle Tools for UNIX Administrator's Reference Guide
: it says that SQL*Net V1 aliases are not supported on Oracle7 (bummer). I'm
: not sure how to work around this since I'm just installing 7.0.13 and this
: is news to me.
:
: Can anyone else comment?
:
: > It seems as if the host lookup works, but /etc/sqlnet doesn't seem to
: > perform a lookup when I start sqlplus. Help!
: >

Okay I'll comment...Basically the Net v1 aliasing has been moved from /etc/sqlnet and incorporated in the Net v2 tnsnames.ora file.

So create the file tnsnames.ora in some directory (may default to /etc but don't quote me), and if you want to be sure set up the environment variable TNS_ADMIN to point to that directory and add your aliases to the tnsnames.ora file:

my_alias = t:some-machine:some-sid

Whether you need to have Net v2 installed or not on your machine I couldn't say without deinstalling it off mine and checking to see if it works. I might get round to this, but try the above, it can't hurt :o)

--
Steve Essery           Inbetween the Velvet Lies        sessery_at_uk.oracle.com
                     There's a Truth as hard as Steel