Re: Memory and Oracle 6 (was: Oracle 6 NLM cache problem )

From: German Jorge Cabrera <gcabrera_at_datavis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1993 20:23:16 +0000

In article <CBLxs8.Anr_at_borland.com> danp_at_dannext.borland.com writes:

>I seem to be getting a consistant cahe problem with Oracle 6 NLM running
>on top of a Netware 3.11 server. The file server is a dedicated Dell 433DE
>with 32M ram and a 2G HD. The error message I'm getting is "Cache memory
>allocator exceeded minimum cache buffer left limit". I've switched the
>minimum file cache buffers to 40, as well setting the minimum file cache
>report threshold to 40. But before I do any more tweaking, I thought I'd
>check to see if anyone has had this problem before.
>
>>>Dan<<

I am supporting a company which has a similar setup except they are using a Dell 466/ME (same memory etc).

The problem will probably due to your INIT.ORA settings. Try reducing your :

                    db_block_buffers

How many SPX connections to the Oracle listener do you have ? Depending on settings and usage (Forms complexity etc), Oracle 6 may require as much as 0.5 MB Novell Server memory per user connection via SQLSPX.

When do you get this error ?

Before I upgraded their system from 16MB to 32MB, the maximum users that could login to Oracle was 5-6, even though the db_block_buffers was set to 300.

Previously the 16MB system was running the OS/2 version and did not have this problem because OS/2 pages memory to disk if more is required, a-la Unix.

--
German Jorge Cabrera