SQL*Net/Windows Sockets

From: Gunnar Sylthe <Gunnar.Sylthe_at_nsd.uib.no>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 11:40:32 GMT

At our site we are trying to get SQL*Net for Windows to work with Windows Sockets. According to the SQL*Net manual, it seems that this should be possible, although the manual is admittedly a bit vague on this subject. First, after listing the supported DLL-based TCP/IP transports, it says:

"In addition to the above vendor-specific DLL files, the JSB Virtual Socket
Library also includes support for an emerging standard called Windows Sockets. Windows Sockets is an API which provides a standard programming interface for TCP/IP under Windows. The JSB VSL accommodates TCP/IP vendors and versions which comply with Windows Sockets Version 1.0, Revision C."

To me, this sounds like SQL*Net is compatible with ANY winsock as long as it's 1.0C compliant. But then the manual goes on to say:

"The following TCP/IP versions comply with Windows Sockets Version 1.0, Revision C
and JSB's MWINSOCK.DLL:

  • Frontier Technology Super-TCP 3.0
  • NetManage Chameleon TCP v3.04"

Are these two really the only winsock implementations that work with SQL*Net? I thought the whole point with winsock was to make applications (such as SQL*Net) vendor independent...?

We would like to set up SQL*Net with Microsoft's WINSOCK.DLL, and also with the Trumpet Winsock which does Windows Sockets using packet drivers. Is this at all possible? Has anyone else done this already? I've got all my other winsock applications working with these setups, but SQL*Net gives me Oracle error 6120:
"network driver not loaded".

Any and all hints will be appreciated!

Regards from Norway,

    --Gunnar Sylthe Received on Fri Aug 13 1993 - 13:40:32 CEST

Original text of this message