Re: PL/SQL - does it do all sql statements???????

From: Andrew Finkenstadt <andy_at_vistachrome.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1993 14:04:45 GMT

mstein_at_access.digex.net (Michael P. Stein) writes:
>In <CB6uMx.FsI_at_vistachrome.com> <andy_at_vistachrome.com> wrote:
>>PL/SQL handles all database DML DDL and DCL statements.
> This is incorrect. PL/SQL handles DML only, even in V2.0.14 under
>Oracle 7. While it is supposed to handle all DML, there are a number of
>bugs in V1, the most serious of which is lack of support for START WITH
>... CONNECT BY. The bug appears to be fixed in V2. What is DCL? My SQL
>manual only talks about DML and DDL.

Hmm.. DCL is something from VAX that got thrown into the pot. Oops!

DCL - Data control language (I reverse-engineered:>)
DML - Data manipulation language
DDL - Data definition language

I guess I got confused a little between EXEC SQL and PL/SQL, as I know that a EXEC SQL CREATE TABLE works, and just assumed that it would work in PL/SQL as well.

--
Andrew Finkenstadt  |  andy_at_{homes.com,vistachrome.com,genie.geis.com}
Systems Analyst     |  Vista-Chrome, Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
                    |  1600 Capital Circle SW, Tallahassee Florida 32310
+1 904-575-0189     |  GEnie Postmaster, Unix & Internet RoundTables Sysop