Re: Reading Oracle tables from MAC Excel ?

From: Stephen Schow <sjs_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 16:36:10 GMT

John Berkin (jberkin_at_nyx.cs.du.edu) wrote:

: I have a set up which for various reasons to complex to go into involves
: the use of both Oracle (on VMS and Unix) and a MAC. Datya as to be trans-
: ferred from the database to EXCEL on the Mac at fairly regular intervals.
: Now I believe that is possible to pull the data directly to the Mac over
: the ethernet using something called DAL (Data Access Language).

: Unfortunately, thats about as far as I've been able to get. If anyone can
: give me additional information, hints tips or warnings I would be most
: grateful.

: The systems I am trying to link together are :-

: Oracle 6.035 (VMS)
: Oracle 6.0.33 (Unix)
: Mac Excel
: The Mac is running system 7 the ethernet connection is by Dec Pathworks
: version 1.1 (I think).

Of course, but you don't need DAL (and you don't want it....its way slow)

There are several different "spreadsheet stuffer" programs out there. The one that I like the best right now is ClearAccess. It will require SQL*NET on each mac($199) as well as itself. It has all kinds of hooks into the Excel API if you want to use them. But even its simple mode of operation pulls data directly from Oracle down into your spreadsheet. It is also completely scriptable.

ClearAccess
515-472-7077

Good luck!

Steve Schow    | But you don't have to use the claw, if you
sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
(415) 354-4908 | Have I given you a clue......?