Re: SQL Modules

From: <is40511_at_otago.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 02:50:14 GMT

In article <24b8ld$s46_at_ef2007.efhd.ford.com>, theobald_at_iao.ford.com (Mark Theobald) writes:

>>In article <1993Aug11.215138.1_at_otago.ac.nz>, is40511_at_otago.ac.nz writes:

>>Greetings,
>> In an Rdb/VMS environment I can create SQL Modules. The modules may
>>contain one or more procedures, and can be linked into various programs in
>>pretty much any host language. A SQL Module precompiler comes with Rdb.

>>Is there anything like this in Oracle ? If there is I haven't been able to find
>>it.

> Rowan.
> What you desire is one of the Pro packages ....
>
> Pro*C
> Pro*Fortran
> Pro*Ada
> Pro*Cobol
>
> Depending on your favorite compiler :)
>
> --
> Mark A. Theobald | theobald_at_asc019.ets.ford.com
> Ford Motor Company Safety Labs | Phone: (313) 390-8094
> Disclaimer: The author's opinions are his own, and not necessarily
> those of Ford Motor Corporation

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply ... unfortunately you're wrong. I don't desire any of the Pro Packages.

I don't want to embed SQL statements in a host language, but rather call external routines from within a host language. Rdb/VMS provides a few precompilers for embedding SQL eg. Pascal,C,Cobol etc. And it also provides a compiler for SQL Modules.

Here's what the on-line help has to say :

SQLMOD    The SQL module language is a set of special keywords and syntax that    allow procedures containing SQL statements to be called from any host    language, including those not supported by the SQL precompiler.

   The SQL module language provides a calling mechanism for host    language programs to execute SQL statements contained in a separate    file called an SQL module file. The file contains module language    elements to specify a single SQL module. The module includes one or    more procedures, each of which contains parameter declarations and an    SQL statement.

   The host language program uses call statements to specify a    particular SQL module procedure and supplies a sequence of call    parameters corresponding in number and in data type to the parameter    declarations in the procedure. A call to a procedure in an SQL    module causes the SQL statement in the procedure to be executed.

Not particularly helpful I know, but hopefully it's given you the general idea. I can give you a concrete example if you want it.

Rowan. Received on Thu Aug 12 1993 - 04:50:14 CEST

Original text of this message