Re: REQUEST: SQLPERL ?

From: John A. Karnes <karnesj_at_source.asset.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 12:45:50 GMT

In article <1993Aug11.091056.50538_at_ucl.ac.uk> Alan Deacon writes:
>Okay, so I've found Oraperl though I haven't quite built it yet. I now here
>from someone that they *thought* they saw mention of an Sqlperl in some
>Perl FAQ somewhere - and someone else mentioned a Sybase interface (not of
>interest to me personally).
>
>Does anyone know how many of these interfaces are around , and their
>relative merits?

Here is what the perl FAQ says:

1.14) Where can I get (info|inter|ora|sql|syb)perl?

    Numerous database-oriented extensions to Perl have been written.     These amount to using the usub mechanism (see the usub/ subdirectory     in the distribution tree) to link in a database library, allowing     embedded calls to Informix, Interbase, Oracle, Ingres, and Sybase.     There is currently a project underway, organized by Buzz Moschetti     <buzz_at_toxicavenger.bear.com>, to create a higher level interface     (DBperl) that will allow you to write your queries in a     database-independent fashion. If you're interested, send     mail to <perldb-interest-request_at_vix.com> and ask to be placed on the     perldb-interest_at_vix.com mailing list.

    Meanwhile, here are the authors of the various extensions:

    What            Target DB       Who
    --------        -----------     ----------------------------------------
    Infoperl        Informix        Kurt Andersen (kurt_at_hpsdid.sdd.hp.com)
    Interperl       Interbase       Buzz Moschetti (buzz_at_bear.com)
    Oraperl         Oracle          Kevin Stock (kstock_at_encore.com)
    Sqlperl         Ingres          Ted Lemon (mellon_at_ncd.com)
    Sybperl         Sybase          Michael Peppler (mpeppler_at_itf.ch)

    Here's a bit of advertising from Buzz:

    Perl is an interpreted language with powerful string, scalar, and array     processing features developed by Larry Wall that "nicely bridges the     functionality gap between sh(1) and C." Since relational DB operations     are typically textually oriented, perl is particularly well-suited to     manage the data flows. The C source code, which is available free of     charge and runs on many platforms, contains a user-defined function entry     point that permits a developer to extend the basic function set of the     language. The DBperl Group seeks to exploit this capability by creating a     standardized set of perl function extensions (e.g. db_fetch(), db_attach())     based the SQL model for manipulating a relational DB, thus providing a     portable perl interface to a variety of popular RDMS engines including     Sybase, Oracle, Ingres, Informix, and Interbase. In theory, any DB engine     that implements a dynamic SQL interpreter in its HLI can be bolted onto     the perl front end with predicatable results, although at this time     backends exist only for the aforementioned five DB engines.

Hope this helps.

   John Karnes
Software Engineer

      ASSET