Re: Oracle TPC-A Benchmarks

From: Graeme Sargent <graeme_at_pyra.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 11:17:20 GMT

In <248i77$a61_at_infochi.com> rfinkel_at_infochi.com (Richard Finkelstein) writes:

[ stuff deleted ]

>I've always wondered about these benchmarks. When the benchmarks
>are actually being performed, are the people performing the benchmark:

>1) looking very serious looking but laughing inside?

>2) holding their mouths tight trying to keep the laughter in?

>3) laughing hard and having a good laugh with the other people
>participating in the benchmark (hardware, software vendors and auditor)
>because they realize what a joke the whole thing is?

>4) being very serious because they know how much sales they can
>potentially make if they do a good job in fooling the public?

No Rich, they're all very serious because:

  1. It's ****** hard work!
  2. They know how much damage it could do if they make their box look slower than it really is. (That's why I was surprised (and relieved) that Sequent didn't manage to get better than 1002.37tpsA.)

graeme

--
Disclaimer:	The author's opinions are his own, and not necessarily
		those of Pyramid Technology Ltd. or Pyramid Technology Inc.