Re: Oracle TPC-A Benchmarks

From: Richard Finkelstein <rfinkel_at_infochi.com>
Date: 10 Aug 1993 08:34:33 -0500

Tony Jambu (aaj_at_cmutual.com.au) wrote:

: No flames but it is my belief that it is a Sequent. I would to see the total
: cost of the whole system (hardware and software) over a period of 3 years.
: This is so that can have a good laugh on the definition of a 'low cost UNIX
: computer'.

: see ya
: tony

It is very disappointing to see Oracle revert back to its old marketing and sales practices. Oracle's use of the TPC-A benchmark and its discrete transaction in its advertisements goes to the heart of the Standish Report and Oracle's subsequent lawsuit against Standish. The issue is whether Oracle is being deceptive in its presentation of the facts.

In my own experiences, and based upon interviews with hundreds of Oracle users and users who have benchmarked Oracle, Oracle7 would be hard pressed to achieved 1/100th of these stated figures (10,000 concurrent users, 1,000 TPS) on two low-end Unix computers running in a production environment. It is too bad that Oracle finds itself in the position again that it has to start running these types of ads again.

Thanks for your reply.

  • Rich -- Richard Finkelstein Voice: 312-549-8325 Performance Computing, Inc. Fax: 312-549-4824 Chicago, IL Mail: rfinkel_at_infochi.com