Re: Oracle TPC-A Benchmarks

From: Graeme Sargent <graeme_at_pyra.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 11:43:54 GMT

In <1993Aug10.020954.23953_at_cmutual.com.au> aaj_at_cmutual.com.au (Tony Jambu) writes:

>In article <245f53$4t5_at_infochi.com>, rfinkel_at_infochi.com (Richard Finkelstein)
>writes:
>>
>> I just read an Oracle ad in Computerworld which read in part "
>> Specifically, the Oracle7tm cooperative server database has been certified
>> as supporting over 10,000 users running more than 1,000 tpcA transactions
>> per second on a pair of low cost UNIC computers."
>>
>> I would be interested in comments from Oracle and non-Oracle users on this
>> ad.

>No flames but it is my belief that it is a Sequent. I would to see the total
>cost of the whole system (hardware and software) over a period of 3 years.
>This is so that can have a good laugh on the definition of a 'low cost UNIX
>computer'.

You're right, they're referring to a cluster of two Sequents with 46 processors, 1.3GB of RAM and 238GB of disk between them (plus the eight Sequent client machines which the ad forgets to mention).

An official 5-year cost of ownership is given in the Full Disclosure Report, but on the original pricing (which I believe they withdrew) used for the press announcement it came to approx $9,335,112.

I guess your perspective on "low cost" just depends on what you're used to paying!

graeme

--
Disclaimer:	The author's opinions are his own, and not necessarily
		those of Pyramid Technology Ltd. or Pyramid Technology Inc.