Re: White papers Wanted

From: Dagmar A. Bogan <dagmar_at_indian.mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 17:46:41 GMT

I have Oracle CASE tools for about three years, in addition to using other CASE tools (EXCELERATOR, POSE, etc.). The tool is schizoid; Designer draws the pretty pictures and Dictionary stores the operational level details. Both are aware of the other, but can be used exclusive of each other --- the Dictionary can be used without having data loaded in the Designer side.

The tool is relatively easy to use (compared to other CASE tools, but it still requires a learning curve) and can be adapted. I used the extension capability to store information for a corporate information strategic plan, and wrote queries to extract reports.

I have generated DDL, and it works very well; it usually requires some additional tweaking, but fairly time-saving (once the learning curve is overcome). I have generated forms (V2.3 and 3.0) and reports from the generator, and it creates a good shell. I don't know that a V4 forms generator is out, since V4 forms is not in production for most platforms.

The only thing I do not like about the Oracle CASE tool (and it is a fault of many of the available CASE tools) is that you are wedded to the Oracle CASE methodology. If you have problems with their methodology, you won't like the tool.

Hope this helps. Dagmar

The opinions expressed do not reflect those of The MITRE Corporation