Re: Debugging a user-exit in VMS

From: The Sensei <lalith_at_BARRA.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 18:34:53 GMT

In article <CBB3DE.n4L_at_odin.corp.sgi.com> ram_at_jupiter.corp.sgi.com (S. RAMAKRISHNAN) writes:
> Rather tricky problem, this one :
>
> [ Stuff Deleted ]
>
> Now, here's the catch. I was unable to "ex/asciz" any of my variables because everything i typed was taken as upper case. Sql*forms had apparently done some sort of "set term" that I was unable to undo. This was quite frustrating.
> I never did solve the problem.

You could try writing into your user exit a function that issues a QIO to the terminal("TT:") to reset the IO$M_CVTLOW bit that tells the terminal driver(?) to convert lower to upper case. Call this function from the debugger before you issue any debugger commands( "ex/az" etc.). This should allow you to examine lower case variables. Of course, you'll need a corresp. function to set this bit back for SQL*Forms.

Caveat:  I haven't tried this with SQL*Forms :-)  Also, you may have to
^^^^^^	 name your terminal reset function in upper-case.  There may be
	 other TTY chars. that SQL*Forms sets that may mess up other
	 parts of the debugger.......so your function may have to do
	 more than just diddle this bit !

Lalith Subramanian              UUCP    :  ...!uupsi!barra!lalith
BARRA, Inc.                     Internet:  lalith_at_barra.com
Berkeley, CA                    Work    :  (510)-649-4242
              	                Res     :  (510)-547-5313