Wanted: Programers for a CopyLefted SQL/4GL :-)

From: michael kraehe <kraehe_at_bakunin.north.de>
Date: 9 Aug 93 18:35:01 GMT

Hy folks,

last month I've started to write a 4gl-like programing language for database applications.

Now it's doing real work for

	"Verwaltung von Behaeltern mit wassergefaerdenden Stoffen
	 nach Verordnung TUeV Bremen"

Its fairly usefull handling about 160000 records in 5 tables.

It's written Client-Server based while the client is a PC (3SX33) running Linux/X11 and my program, and the server is a Sparc running Informix ISQL/SE.

Programs written in these "4gl" are modern like, they use windows, pulldown menues, mouse and hotkeys !

The theory behind the language is that, a application consist on :

  • internal tables for temporal storage
  • masks for viewing and changing these tables
  • transaktions between these tables and the world bound on events like menus, function keys (not yet implemented) and changing of input fields.
      Transaktions can be written in Shell, Perl, SQL etc. so you are free
      to use the language you like to implement the "real work" of your
      application.

      So a transaktions can be a database query, a pring job,
      a calculation etc.

    - A database link for SQL.
      The database is called by the folloing notation :

          database%engine_at_host.domain

      So "vaws%isql_at_wwa-sparc1" or "mydb%shql_at_myhost" are valid
      databasenames.

Now its about the time to extend the program to be usefull for the public :-)

Following work should be done, which I cant do because lack of money :-(

  • Writing Clients for
    • Informix ESQL/C (We only have ISQL+SE)
    • Oracle
    • Sybase
    • Ingres

Following work can be done, which I also can do ... but lack of time :-(

  • Extending the Transaktion-Server for
    • Doing real transaktion log's rollbacks etc.
    • extenting the (now simple) protokoll for unsecure IP-Lines
  • Documentation !
    • Ok its a bad job to document a daily changing project :-( but look at my english stil. This should realy better be done by somebody whos able to write correct english.
  • Example applications
    • I'll write a set of typical german applications, but english french, spanish could also be neccesary.

Following work 'll be nice :

  • A faster SQL than shql for local development under linux without a SQL-Server in the net. I'll start this if nobody else 'll do job and I finished my rewriting of the parser.

Important note :

	My 4gl-like language is badly coded by hand with a predicate
	parser, I should rewrite it using a parser generator !

By Michael

PS : A first alpha can be found at <ftp.ccc.de> directory /public/support

     file Onyx.tar.gz, Its nearly without documentation, so write
     a mail to me if you like to do some extensions.
--
PS : Unfortunately I dont have real news access now :-(

     That means Im reading news about every week, but my expire
     is for 3 days because lack of diskspace :-(

     So write by mail if you wanna answer me :-(

     |_________________| Voice  : +49 421 875500 |      MSDOS     /