Re: Debugging a user-exit in VMS

From: <kneitz_at_mwk.com>
Date: 9 Aug 93 12:44:04 CST

In article <CBB3DE.n4L_at_odin.corp.sgi.com>, ram_at_jupiter.corp.sgi.com (S. RAMAKRISHNAN) writes:
> Rather tricky problem, this one :
>
> Some time back, I was writing a rather large user exit that I needed to debug using the symbolic VMS-debugger. I linked my user-exit with LIAP in debug mode, and sure enough when I ran sql*forms, I got the debug prompt. Then I did
> 1) SET MODULE <my_user_exit_source_file_name>
> 2) SET BREAK <my_user_exit_func_name>
> 3) GO
> This took me to my form and when the user exit was caused to be invoked, sure enough, I was at the debug prompt again because of the break.
>
> Now, here's the catch. I was unable to "ex/asciz" any of my variables because everything i typed was taken as upper case. Sql*forms had apparently done some sort of "set term" that I was unable to undo. This was quite frustrating. I never did solve the problem.
>
> Any ideas ? Plz email me.
>
> Thanks,
> ram
>
> --

My guess would be that the VMS debugger did not know the correct language for your module. Try entering "Set Language C" (or whatever the correct language is) at the debugger prompt. This should allow you to reference lower case and mixed case symbols. I sure with the debugger would change languages automatically based on the module. It's a real pain when your are debugging programs written in more than one language.

Hope this helps!

John W. Kneitz --> kneitz_at_mwk.com
The M. W. Kellogg Company.
Houston, Texas Received on Mon Aug 09 1993 - 20:44:04 CEST

Original text of this message