Re: Sql*Net for dos and DNS.

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1993 22:46:50 GMT

In article <1993Aug06.233431.1180_at_vpbuild.vp.com> jessea_at_u013.me.vp.com (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>We're running Sql*Net 1.1 for DOS with FTP Software's PC/TCP and I'm trying
>to get sqlnet to use DNS. I've set up PC/TCP ok, because I can use tn and
>tnglass to get to hosts and use aliases that are not in a hosts file on the
>dos system. But when we try to use sqlplus, Forest & Trees, or Q&E, none
>will allow us to use DNS. It seems you have to specify TCP_HOSTS_FILE in
>the config.ora, and if the host doesn't exist in that file, then the attempt
>to connect bombs out with an unknown hostname.
>
>Has anybody been able to get this to work???

Please specify the EXACT version of SQL*Net TCP/IP that you are using. (Eg: 1.1.x.x) Older versions of SQL*Net could not take advantage of DNS but newer ones can. Upgrade to the most current version and it "should" work (depending on the version and the vendor, etc)

Hope this helps

shiraz

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Worldwide Technical Support (On Rotation to the CASE Group)