Re: Is Ingres the wave of the future?

From: Patrick Ryan <pat_at_halcyon.com>
Date: 5 Aug 1993 17:08:24 -0700

Our company did a selection survey of the major players and picked Oracle over Ingres. Ingres has a slight edge in statistics-based DBA anlysis tools but Oracle has a bigger user base and a much more progressive attitude towards their tools. Ingres is a very close second- if you are on a tight budget, it could well make up the difference. The issue of "file visibility" is sort of smoke and mirrors- even if you know what the files are named, you are probably not going to be restoring them individually.

Just my $0.02

-Pat

Note: Opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect my company's, nor any other rational being. Received on Fri Aug 06 1993 - 02:08:24 CEST

Original text of this message