Re: Sizing Rollback and Temporary Segments

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 4 Aug 1993 07:13:55 GMT

uidixon!idixon_at_infocom.co.uk (Ian Dixon) writes:

>I'm about to set up Oracle on another machine and I thought that this
>time it would be nice to get the rollback and temporary segments at
>the right size to start with. Unfortunately I cant find any mention
>in the manuals about how I should do this. Can anyone offer any
>suggestions?

>The platform is Oracle 6.0.36 on HP/UX and SCO UNIX.

Walter Lindsay of Eco-Systems has written two EXCELLENT articles on sizing rollback segments. You will find them in the Oracle RTSS Bulletin Board. (415/598 9350-- call support 415/506-1500 for userid/pwd and instructions. Know your csi# and cpu serial#.)

I'd post it but it is probably copyrighted.

But, I'll summarize:

-Each rb seg should have about 10-20 equal sized extents
-1 rb seg per 4 users is a safe bet
-Each rb seg should be able to handle your largest transaction
(I've seen Oracle Financials transactions which require 20Mb)

If I don't know the size of my largest transaction, I let the rb segs grow in 5Mb extents with max extents=100 pctincrease=0. After a couple weeks I then look at the size of them. (can you say "disk space"?)

Walter? are you out there? Do you have anything to add?

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu