re: Is Ingres the wave of the future?

From: Dave Laudicina <dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu>
Date: 4 Aug 1993 12:38:11 GMT

>I have a question that may or may not be appropriate for this group,
>and hopefully will NOT start a major flame war. I have been using
>ORACLE for about 4 years now, as was the rest of our lab up until a
>couple of years ago. At that time, the powers that be in our lab
>decided to switch to Ingres, one reason being that you have more
>visibility into files and more control over them. I suspect that
>another reason was that ya always gotta have something new, whether
>its an improvement or not. Anyway, we are now in the market to upgrade
>or get a new database. My system administrator tells me that I should
>go with Ingres, not only to standardize within our lab, but he says that
>the reason Oracle is so popular is because its been around a long time
>and everyone knows how to use it, not that its necessarily a good
>database, and that he thinks Oracle is on the way out. Opinions?
>
>Elizabeth
Oracle version 7 as well as Sybase products are considered to have a good deal of the features that make a good client server DB. The reviews I have read talk very highly of both products. I would be very surprised if the marketplace does not accept Oracle V7 as one of the major players in the client server db offerings. Thx Dave L Received on Wed Aug 04 1993 - 14:38:11 CEST

Original text of this message