Re: Raw I/O vs files (was Re: Raw partitions / cooked files)

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlog.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 93 22:17:43 GMT

In article <2500_at_coyote.UUCP> gainer_at_slowmo.almaden.ibm.com (P. Gainer) writes:
>In a recent append, kevinc_at_sequent.com (kevinc) writes...

 [...]
>In the meantime, many unix DBMSes implemented raw I/O. Now it seems to me
>that doing this allows one to write a filesystem customized for a database.
>In doing this, one should be able to obtain more performance than one could
>using the standard OS file system.

I would argue that if you need the performance increase bad enough to start changing the filesystem code, you have no excuse not to skip it and go directly raw.

I'm not advocating that of course but what your saying sounds a little like "I dont like the way vi works so I'm going to change the kernel to fix it." :-}

All the things you would want build into the fscode is already in the database. There are a ton of good reasons for using cooked database files but if your system is REALLY being impacted by the cost of running that filesystem code then the answer it to get it out of the way not improve it. If you need the very small perf increase gained by running a non-standard fs then you need the increase gained by not running the fs at all.

>Has anyone done much benchmarking to determine whether recent raw I/O
>implementations are *significantly* faster than file system implementations?

I've asked the same question a couple of times and gotten no answer.

I think that is because you, I and everybody else already know the answer. The only way your are going to see a *significantly* faster raw benchmark is if something else somewhere is not tuned well.

Before I get flamed I should say there are cases where going raw is the thing to do, but those cases are rare and usually in situations where doing the Right thing is not an option. ie) get more/better disks, controllers, increase memory

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker Hughes Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com