Re: Oracle Products? Card Outrage ++

From: Jean-Marc Debaud <debaud_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 16:11:18 GMT

!>>Oracle Card-Developer - this is a windows based software development
!>> package. It is difficult to learn.
!>
!>No it is not. In fact it is very easy to use
!>and simple application development is almost
!>direct (a few hours).
!>
!>In comparison with Forms 3 it is a breeze. We looked at
!>forms 3 and then Card, the dicision was immediate. Forget
!>forms with all these topological levels in transaction
!>processing and all these commands that are so unintuitive.
!>
!>Benchmarks: (Our experience)
!>
!> A simple query/delete application on forms 3
!> 40 hours of work
!> The same in Card, 6 hours and I am generous.

!I can't believe it would take 40 hours for ANY screen. I can pump those out
!in 15 to 30 minutes tops! I guess its just a learning thing. (My experience)

Okay, I should have meant that the application was a bit more complex than the simple query/delete. It had multiple screens, multiple master slave relationships, computations and update of other tables.

I do admit that I was careless in posting that part :-).

!> Benchmarks: (Our experience)
!>
!> A simple query/delete application on forms 3
!> 40 hours of work
!> The same in Card, 6 hours and I am generous.
!>

!48 hours for a simple query / delete is extremely long. Assuming that it
!is only a single table, the entire development shouldn't take over ten
!or fifteen minutes, including user documentation.

!On the down side of card, my experience (limited, I admit) is that the
!resulting applications run VERY slow. I predict that Card will gradually
!fade from existance as other products (Forms4, MS Access, Visual Basic,
!etc) invade the market place.

That is correct if you use the default functionality (stack-builder) in OracleCard. For reasons I don't understand myself they use very computationaly expensive routines to create (dynamically) the code they will execute EACH time one does anything. Crazy. Plus the ADT they use to cache info are unbelievable. Oracle 2.0 entering beta in August (latest news but we all know that it hardly happens on schedule at Oracle...) should fix most of that.

Today with 1.1.1.5, you can create very fast applications if you use the 'custom' option.

	JM
	debaud_at_cc.gatech.edu