Re: Testing the return code from HOST

From: Ian Dixon <uidixon!idixon_at_infocom.co.uk>
Date: 26 Jul 93 21:48:48 GMT

In <2304qq$fga_at_zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> pnarth_at_axion.bt.co.uk (Paul K C Narth) writes:
>Hi

>In SQL*Forms, I can invoke an o/s command or executable program by doing:

> HOST('command_or_program_name');

>in a trigger. Fine. However, how do I test the return value of
>this program to know if it suceeded or failed - given that I will be
>writing this executable as a Pro*C or C program

I hope that someone else will come up with an answer to this because I'm developing a screen at the moment that needs to be able to do this. However, I'm sure that I rang Oracle UK support about this sometime last year and their answer was that a user exit was the only way.

<Stuff deleted>

>Oh, I do have reasons for using a Pro*C executable and not a linked-in user
>exit!

Me too! The form should have been finished last Friday so I don't have time to develop a user exit. Add to that the fact that I've not done one with Pro*C or Unix before and you can see my problem. Anybody like to post some sample code?

Regards

Ian

Ian Dixon                       Email : idixon_at_infocom.co.uk
Reading, England