Testing the return code from HOST

From: Paul K C Narth <pnarth_at_axion.bt.co.uk>
Date: 26 Jul 1993 08:32:26 GMT

Hi

In SQL*Forms, I can invoke an o/s command or executable program by doing:

  HOST('command_or_program_name');

in a trigger. Fine. However, how do I test the return value of this program to know if it suceeded or failed - given that I will be writing this executable as a Pro*C or C program

The HOST packaged procedure apparently can determine if the return code from the last os command was success, failure, or fatal error (Pg21-63 Forms3 Designers' Ref). Does anyone know if I can do this test, and if so how (how do I make the environment fail)??

Oh, I do have reasons for using a Pro*C executable and not a linked-in user exit!

Sys: RDBMS: 7.0.12
     Forms: 3.0.16.12
     Pro*C: 1.5.6
     O/S  : SunOS 4.1.3 on a SPARC 10

Thanks in advance

Paul

Paul Narth pnarth_at_axion.bt.co.uk / cs90pkn_at_brunel.ac.uk

B81 G61                         |    Dept. of Computer Science
BT Labs                         |    Brunel University
Martlesham Heath                |    Uxbridge, Middlesex
Ipswich, Suffolk                |    England, UK
England, UK                     |    UB8 3PH
IP5 7RE
0473 640746 / +44 473 640746