Re: Oracle V7 server for V6 clients -- does it work ?

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlogcorp.exlog.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 93 18:43:09 GMT

> Does anyone know if it is possible for a Oracle v6 client
> to access Oracle v7 database via SQL*Net. Any information
> about such configuration, possible problems and requirements
> would be appreciated very much.

I recently had a similar problem between 7.0.11 and a group of 6.0.34 clients. I found that the only way for my clients to talk to the v7 database was via SQL*Net V1.

All I had to do was keep orasrv running and give it the same connect string as I would have if it were a v7 database.

It makes sence that you can't talk to v6 using true Sqlnet v2 packets, Because the packet format has changed and he wont be able to understand them.

Any way a simple summary of what I found follows.

V6 tools to V6 database via Sqlnet V1      Works
V6 tools to V7 database via Sqlnet V1      Works
V6 tools to V6 database via Sqlnet V2      Hosed
V6 tools to V7 database via Sqlnet V2      Hosed

V7 tools to V6 database via Sqlnet V1      Works
V7 tools to V7 database via Sqlnet V1      Works
V7 tools to V6 database via Sqlnet V2      Hosed
V7 tools to V7 database via Sqlnet V2      Works

I tried talking to the Sqlnet V2 server from the v6 tools by changing the clients orasrv port to 1521 in /etc/services.

The tests that didn't work some how involve sending Sqlnet V2 packets to the old tools. This implys that the packet layout has changed and the old tools will never talk v2 without some type of patch. (Something oracle told me they weren't going to do.)

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker Hughes Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com