Re: ANyone use Oraperl a LOT

From: Garth Kennedy <garth_at_.comm.mot.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1993 00:19:43 GMT

In article <sjsCAMs1J.8ty_at_netcom.com> sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
>I would like feedback from people who use Oraperl for "IMPORTANT" company
>systems and projects. Do you use it? I know its just fine for one time
>jobs and short term jobs. But what about for long term...long standing
>projects. For example, if I need to use something like Oraperl or PL/SQL
>to implement a report that will be used for several years. What do you think
>of that? The hardware that this report is running on may very well change
>within that time. The OS may be upgraded, etc..
>
>Oraperl clearly has some features that would really help me out for this
>project, but I am a little scared to use it for a project like this.
>
>Comments?

What is a lot ??
Most of the DBA and operations stuff that my production systems use is in perl (actually curseperl and coraperl). It has survived porting over several hardware platforms and operating systems fairly well. (My alternate was to use C. It took some work to move what I thought was portable C at the same time.)

My only concern would be the databse interface. If OCI remains through version 7, then I think you should be OK.

Besides, if your place is like mine nothing ever stays EXACTLY the same for very long. It is nice to quickly make a lot of changes.

Garth
>--
>Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you
>sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
>(415) 354-4908 | Have I given you a clue......?
> | - Baloo the Bear

Just my litle own opinion which no one else listens to anyway.

| Garth Kennedy       garth_at_comm.mot.com     Voice (708) 576-3786  |
| Private Systems Div. Motorola Inc.           FAX (708) 576-6028  |