New User: Looking for good administrative books

From: Jeff Kopmanis <jeffk_at_cyberspace.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 03:58:20 GMT

Our company recently got a copy of Oracle 7.0.12 and over the past week, we've finally gotten the blasted thing installed on our Sun Sparc10. I've been "appointed" the "official" DBA, but don't really have a clue as to what's going on, administrative-wise on this thing. I am comfortable with weeding through the SQL manuals, but they don't give a good tutorial on how to setup and run an Oracle database effectively.

Are there some good books you folks can recommend? I'm a programmer by trade, so I *can* read techy stuff. I need something to give me the big-picture so I know what details to look for and use. I haven't found the Oracle manuals to be terribly great on giving a clear picture of "The way things work in Oracle."

Thanks for anything you can recommend (aside from us going with another DBMS...we've spent far too much already on this project)

-Jeff. :)
--

Jeff Kopmanis (Ann Arbor, Michigan) | email: jeffk_at_cyberspace.org Organizer of the Linux Software Map (LSM) | phone: (313) 393-4784 (work)