Re: Memory-resident table -- VMS

From: <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 21 Jul 93 08:42:58 +1000

In article <CABMFJ.Iz1_at_news.cso.uiuc.edu>, jfedorko_at_ncsa.uiuc.edu (Joel Fedorko) writes:

> While Oracle will not allow you to "lock" a small table in memory, to increase the
> chance of that table being there, crank up you're SGA some since you're apparently
> not hurting for memory, then fire up a detached process that does a select * from
> table_name every so often. Use the logical/physical I/O requests from sqldba
> (mentioned previously) to tune the interval that the detached process executes
> the select. If your'e seeing 0 physical I/Os from your'e detached process then
> your'e table is in memory. It's crude, but can be effective.

I thought Oracle had "tweaked" their buffer use so that full table scans like the one suggested above didn't flush out the buffer cache. I can remember seeing it in some Oracle manuals/documents around the time Oracle V6 first arrived.

Does anybody else remember this?

Bruce... pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au Received on Wed Jul 21 1993 - 00:42:58 CEST

Original text of this message