Re: SQL*Plus Procedure Help Needed

From: <harry_at_AFTAC.GOV>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 11:51:37 GMT

In article <93198.103400AI4CPHYW_at_MIAMIU.BITNET>, <AI4CPHYW_at_MIAMIU.BITNET> writes:
|> Hello There:
|>
|> I have been working with SQL*Plus under Oracle 6 running "one line"
|> queries (i.e select foo from bar where baz = bang) with no problems.
|> Recently, I wanted to get into some procedures using looping
|> constructs and stuff as described in the PL/SQL book, except I can't
|> seem to get SQL*Plus to accept the commands.
|>
|> For example, if I key in (either to a text file or direct at the SQL>
|> prompt):
|>
|> DECLARE
|> x char(20);
|> BEGIN
|> .
|> .
|> .
|> END;
|>
|> SQL*Plus chokes on the DECLARE saying it is an invalid SQL command.
|> Now, as far as I understand from the PL/SQL and SQL*Plus books,
|> SQL*Plus should run procedures like that without comment. I can, of
|> course, run a procedure like the above in a SQL*Forms 3 trigger, but
|> I'd like to make SQL*Plus do it too. Could I be missing a setting, or
|> do I need another product to make the thing work ?
|>
|> Thanks for your help.
|>
|> -Alec D. Isaacson
|> AI4CPHYW _at_ miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
|> isaacson _at_ rogue.acs.muohio.edu (NeXt Mail)
|> Miami University, Oxford, OH
|> "They teach many things in Baptist colleges, but the short-arm jab as
|> a means of converting the ungodly is not one of them"
|> -Frederick Forsyth, _The_Deceiver_

This sounds to me like the same problem I had just a little while back! I didn't have PL/SQL installed.... When you bring up a SQL*PLUS session does it also list the PL/SQL program version along the top? If not.. it's not installed.....

Harry N. Adams                                         email: harry_at_AFTAC.GOV
Air Force Technical Applications Center
Patrick AFB, FL 32925                    ... no real expert on this end ...
(407) 494-5481 Received on Mon Jul 19 1993 - 13:51:37 CEST

Original text of this message