DBMS tools evaluation criteria (LONG)

From: <westrich_at_bingo.ncc.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1993 18:07:50 GMT

In article <1993Jul1.131743.11039_at_almserv.uucp> aluart_at_fnma.COM writes:

>** Maybe you have a list of evaluation criteria just laying around that you'd be willing to
> share with me?

We're currently choosing a back end and front end for our in-house DB development. Here's the current version of our evaluation criteria list. I'd be interested in peoples' comments on the completeness of the list, as well as whether I've gotten the "priority order straight".

What this document is: The current draft of the criteria we propose to use in selecting tools used to manage NCC's inhouse  data. There are separate criteria for evaluation of the database engine (used to store data) and the database application development tools (used to develop database application software and to perform database reports/queries).

Document organization: Each of the two tables of criteria has three separate columns. The first column is the overall property addressed by the criterion. The "criteria for consideration" column are criteria we will use to whittle down the list of tools from 10-15 to the final 2 or 3 (to be completed on or about 8/1/93). We then plan to get evaluation copies of the finalists and use the "criteria for evaluation" column to rate the finalists.

     The criteria lists are long because if the criteria had been grouped into more general categories (such as power, productivity, cost, etc.) it would have been impossible to rank criteria in order of importance, which is necessary to facilitate the DBMS selection process.

                    Computing Environment
Our environment is a Novell LAN of about 50 nodes. We have purchased a 66 MHz 486 with 32 MB RAM as our server hardware, and are willing to install UNIX, NT, and/or OS/2 as a server operating system. Our mission is the design and use of complex time-related (temporal) databases (that contain food composition data). Flexibility in database and application design is paramount, with database querying capability also of major importance. High performance transaction processing is less important. Typical databases will have 30 to 40 tables, with the largest table having 25,000 records, largest database size 40 MB. We plan to build 4 to 6 such database for various purposes, and to have all such databases fully integrated with each other.

            Criteria for selecting a DBMS engine In order of importance, based on above computing environment

Attribute   Criteria for          Criteria for evaluation2
            consideration1

Power       Variable length       Alternate collating
            fields. Multi-field   sequences. Storage of
            indices.              graphics.
            Autosequenced
            numeric fields.
Connec      Supports a wide       Well integrated with a
tivity      variety of            wide variety of
            application           application development
            development           environments (see
            environments.         application development
                                  environment for more
                                  info). Supports a wide
                                  variety of report
                                  writers, query tools,
                                  etc.   Embedded SQL,
                                  and/or 3GL API's.
Extendi     Stored procedures,    Support for temporal
bility      triggers.             data.
            Application access
            to stored
            procedures.
Integrity   Server-enforced data  Integrity related
            constraints.  Easily  features do not overly
            maintainable          compromise speed of
            referential           operation. Ability to
            integrity. Audit      easily run data
            trail.  Recovery      constraints on data
            from transactions     already in database.
            that are incomplete
            at time of a server
            failure (note: this
            may be related to
            the application
            development
            environment).
Speed       Ability to process    Availability of stored
            data at speeds        procedures for optimizing
            sufficient in an      client-server operations.
            environment           Cost-based query
            characterized by      optimization, as opposed
            medium volumes of     to syntax-based
            transactions,         optimization.
            infrequent multi-
            user updates, but
            frequent ad hoc
            queries. Query
            optimization that
            reduces need to
            manually optimize
            queries.
Scalability Available on a wide   Takes advantage of
            range of hardware,    incremental hardware
            from 486 Intel        enhancements, such as
            machines up to large  added RAM.
            workstations.
Docu        Easy to understand.   Well organized. Has a
mentation                         master index.
Training    Is the engine easy
            to learn?  If not,
            is economical
            training available?
Mainte      On-line backup.       No need to periodically
nance       Availability of       reorganize data.
            system
            administration
            tools.
Cost        Initial software
            cost (including
            connectivity to
            application
            development
            environment).
            Upgrade software
            cost. Support and
            training costs. Cost
            to upgrade existing
            network and/or
            hardware.

Possible choices. Operating system is in parentheses. Please add your favorites to the list, we will eventually narrow the list down to 2 or 3, and document reasons for elimination of any possible engines.

Oracle (UNIX or Netware)
Gupta SQLBase (Netware)
Sybase SQL Server (UNIX or Netware)
Microsoft SQL Server (OS/2 or NT)
IBM EE SQL Server (OS/2)
Informix (UNIX)
Netware SQL (Netware)
Rdb (VAX/VMS)

    Criteria for selecting a DBMS application development

                      environment (ADE)

In order of importance, based on above computing environment
Attribute  Criteria for           Criteria for evaluation2
           consideration1

Flexible   Handles temporal       Recursion, multiple child
           data.                  tables.
Multi-     Support for multiple   Support for user-defined,
developer  database developers,   reusable objects.
           including source
           code control and
           shared libraries.
Produc     Concise and easily     Ability to prototype
tivity     maintainable           applications for end
           application code.      users. End-user
                                  applications can be run
                                  simultaneously with MS
                                  Windows applications.
                                  Data interchange possible
                                  with MS Windows
                                  applications via
                                  clipboard and/or DDE.
Utilities  Debugger.              Testing tools.
           Economical run-time
           generator.
Perform    Responsiveness of      Responsiveness of
ance       developed              development tools in both
           applications in both   a single user and multi-
           a single user and      user (10 user)
           multi-user (10 user)   environment.
           environment.
Training   Development            User applications have a
           environment easy to    modern, graphical user
           learn, or else         interface. Facility for
           economical training    end-users to create help
           available.             screens for developed
           Developed              applications.
           applications easy to
           learn.
Import /   Reads/writes data in   Reads/writes data stored
export     ascii files.           by various DBMS's.
Ad hoc     Provides a language    Data need not be
data ma    for manipulating       associated with a
nipulation data on an ad hoc      database in order to be
           basis.                 manipulated (e.g. read in
                                  a text file, manipulate
                                  it, write it back out).
Remote     Ability for
devel      developers to work
opment     remotely on a free
           standing machine.
Portabilit Hides differences      Takes advantage of the
y          between different      best features of the
           engines, allowing      engine currently in use,
           port of applications   as opposed to
           from one engine to     implementing only a least-
           another with minimal   common-denominator of all
           effort.                engine features (this may
                                  be a trade-off with
                                  portability).
Vendor     Experience of          Long term viability of
           company in mission-    company.
           critical database
           application
           development.
Connec     Supports a wide
tivity     variety of DBMS
           engines.
Docu       Well organized.        Easy to understand. Has a
mentation                         master index.
Cost       Initial software
           cost (including
           connectivity to
           engine). Upgrade
           software cost.
           Support and training
           costs.  Cost to
           upgrade existing
           network and/or
           hardware.
End-user                          Report writers, ad hoc
tools                             database browsing tools
                                  (such as query by
                                  example), etc.

Possible choices for ADE's. Please add your favorites to the list, we will eventually narrow the list down to 2 or 3, and document reasons for elimination of any possible ADE's.

Oracle
JAM
Powerbuilder
SQL Windows (Gupta)
NeXT Step
Informix
Visual Basic
R:Base
Paradox
Access (Microsoft)
PC Nomad
Progress
Object Vision

FOOTNOTES

1 Mandatory features (absence of any of these features will
     disqualify the package).  Intended to be verifiable
     without having to install the software (i.e. through
     marketing literature, vendor phone calls, discussions
     with vendor customers, etc.).  Our expectation is that
     only 2 or 3 packages will have all of these features.
2 Optional features.

Thanks for anyone who read this far, especially for not flaming me for such a long post! Please reply by email; if there are sufficient replies I'll post a summary.

Brian Westrich
Nutrition Coordinating Center (NCC)     internet: westrich_at_keystone.ncc.umn.edu
University of Minnesota                 phone:    (612) 627 4862