DBMS comparision

From: Paula Afonso <apa_at_bach>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 14:47:04 GMT

Hello everybody:

I am doing a study (some kind of a survey) about different topics covered by diferent DBMSs.
In particulary, I am interested to know some topics (covered or not) by a particular DBMS.

Then, if anyone can help me I apreciate. Perahps some publication or paper about a comparision study between the more representatives dbms actually including ORACLE v7 , SYBASE v4, INGRES v6.3 , INFORMIX v.5.

Particulary, I am very interestd in the following topics :

  • Basic characteristics:
    • Data types supported, integrity and manipulation data languages
    • 3 GL
    • Development tools and 4 GL
    • Securuty, protection mechanisms
    • Administration and management tools
    • Applications
    • Models (client-server, RPCs, etc)
  • Support to images (multimedia) and other blobs
  • Integration with packages (microinformatic packages) to help in decision support and other tools
  • Implementation of standards (in "jure" and "fact")
  • Performance and kind of platforms supported in a network environment, and characteristics of those platforms (memory, disk, Operating System, releases, etc )
  • Communication protocols supported in a distributed environment
  • Integration with CASE tools

If somebody knows some paper ftpable from some archive, please send me.

Thanks in advance.

   __ __ __
  |__| |__) |__| Ana Paula Afonso

  Departamento de Informatica