DBA Monitoring Tools

From: ALAN C. KEARLEY, DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR <alan_at_kean.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 13:16:15 GMT

I'am looking for information/comments on DBA Monitoring Tools. I have recently moved to a new position where I am the DBA for Oracle on three VMS/VMS machines. The criteria for the monitoring tool that I am looking for is as follows:

	Operates in the VAX/VMS environment
	Can monitor multiple Oracle Instances/Databases using SQL*Net
	Can monitor 6.0.34 and 6.0.36 concurrently ( Future to  V7 )
	Can be modified/tailored to provide additional monitoring requirements
	Provides varied reports on the functioning of the Instance/Database
	Provides a graphical interface which operates in one of
		DECWindows (X) on VMX/VMS
		Microsoft Windows 3.x (Connectivity by Pathworks(DECnet) )
	The ability to send alerts via numerous methods
		(ie. e-mail, message, pager, visual, ...)

	Future directions towards Open/VMS and Windows NT

I have recieved information on the following tools

Patrol
Patrol Software Inc.
100 Marine Parkway, Suite 465
Redwood Shores, CA 94065
Tel: 415-508-2900

This product provides all the monitoring capabilities that are required but currently does not support the VMS/VMS environment. This product also requires a UNIX platform for the console.

DB-Vision
Ashton Brooke
610 West Germantown Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA
1-800-257-7664

This product is very robust in its monitoring abilities and does support VMS/VMS for the monitoring processes, but requires an UNIX Platform for the Graphical User interface.

easyDBA (Table Editor, Sleuth, Executive) Dimeric Development Corporation
22020 Clarendon Street
Suitre 204
Wookland Hills, California 91367
818.710.1112

This product I found not as complete as DB-Vision but still contained all necessary monitoring requirements. Again the graphical interface for monitoring is missing. Dimeric does include a product called DESKTOP DBA but this appears to be a point and click SQL*Plus like interface and not a graphical monitoring interface.

DBA*Master/DBA*Alert/DBA*Master for Windows MITI (MAnagement Information Technology Inc. 2895 Temple Avenue
Lonk Beach, CA. 90806
310.424.4399

This is the most complete of the products on which I have recieved information. The DBA*Master/DBA*Alert appear to provide all the monitoring criteria specified, and the DBA*Master for Windows piece provides the graphical monitoring. It is the most expensive product of the four, but the only one meeting all the criteria.

I would like to receive comments on additional products and/or those mentioned above. For those responses directly e-mailed to me at alan_at_leif.ucs.mun.ca I will summarize and post.

Thanks in advance

Alan Kearley
Database Administrator
Hibernia Management and Development Co. Ltd. Received on Thu Jul 15 1993 - 15:16:15 CEST

Original text of this message