Re: DUPLICATE key in Index/Sql*Forms30

From: <GO.MSB_at_ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 16:11:49 GMT

In article <sjsC9sywG.H6r_at_netcom.com>, sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
>Ron Olshavsky (rono_at_clark.net) wrote:
>: Farnham Dave (farnham_at_spot.Colorado.EDU) wrote:
>

>: : Scenario: I have four block in a screen.
>: : I am entering data for the FIRST time
>: : in blocks 1 and 2, and then in 3 referenciing
>: : an existing record in that table for that block,
>: : and then entering new data in block 4.

>: : By the way, these are all base table blocks.

>: : When I hit the commit key, Block 3 gives me an
>: : error saying duplicate key in index. I'm not
>: : trying to enter new data in block 3, just use an
>: : existing record that already exists in my table....
>
>I once had a similar scenario where I needed to have a master block
>and two parallel detail blocks that both pointed to the same database
>table. I wanted to do the same sort of thing, but I was having the same
>kind of problem. I was told by Oracle that having 'horizantal' detail blocks
>(as they reffered to it) was not supported in 3.0 but would be in 4.0
>
>That is that. I never was able to get a good solution . If you get one, let
>me kn ow.
>--
>Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you
>sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
>(415) 354-4908 | Have I given you a clue......?
> | - Baloo the Bear

I may be all wet on this (and given the flooding around here, that is a good possibility), but my recent findings are that unless the record in Block 3 is retrieved with the default query for the block, it will have a status of 'CHANGED' and therefore an attempt will be made to recommit that record. Only if a record is retrieved with the default query and it is not changed such that it will have a status of 'QUERY' will it not be committed during a commit operation for the form.

Perhaps someone else could confirm or correct this supposition.

Marvin Beck Iowa State University Received on Fri Jul 09 1993 - 18:11:49 CEST

Original text of this message