TKPROF and Trace Files

From: Paul Knights <pgk_at_dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 8 Jul 93 08:58:50 GMT

I have a question to do with the information produced having run a trace file through the TKPROF utility.

I have been generating trace files and examining them for a variety of queries by using the TKPROF utility as documented in the "Performance Tuning Guide".

In the resultant files, however, the values in the "cpu" and "elap" fields never get above zero for any of the "parse", "execute" or "Fetch" steps.

I've tried all kinds of queries from simple joins to multiple joins to tree queries on a tree with depth 1,000 yet these two fields are always zero. The tree query actually takes a good few minutes to execute but still the "cpu" and "elap" fields remain zero.

Can anybody out there explain why these results always remain zero.

Notes:

  • The version of Oracle is V6.0.33.1.1.
  • The "cpu" field contains the total CPU times for the "parse", "fetch" and "execute" steps in hundredths of seconds
  • The "elap" field contains the total elapsed times for each step in hundredths of seconds

Thanks

Paul Received on Thu Jul 08 1993 - 10:58:50 CEST

Original text of this message