oracle on vms - why ?

From: Tom Miheve <dba_at_swdev.si.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 09:39:45 GMT

From : Tom Miheve                     Phone            : (616) 241-8292
       Smith Industries               Internet Address : Miheve_Tom_at_SI.COM
       4141 Eastern Avenue S.E.
       Grand Rapids, Michigan 49518

I am trying to convince the 'powers that be' that a VAX/VMS Cluster is a sound platform on which to place our Oracle databases.(verses a SUN / HP environment).

We have had a VAX/VMS cluster in place for 8 years, with experience upgrading and maintaining it.

 Questions :

  1. What seem to be the best features about running Oracle on VMS ?
  2. Are there any 'gotchas' not mentioned by the 'sales-es' ?
  3. What application software are you using ? (good/bad?) Thanks, Tom