Re: Oracle products for stand-alone PC

From: Jean-Marc Debaud <debaud_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1993 14:46:31 GMT

!>>Oracle sells their older Oracle 6 for DOS PCs. There will not be an Oracle
!>>7 for DOS. Oracle 7 is available for OS/2. I do not know the current pricing.
!>
!>As far as I have heard, there are talks about proting O7 to the
!>dos environment now due to strong demand. Or at least most of it
!>since I don't see how they would implement remote DB integrity.
!>
!>Yes Oracle works with os/2 but the future of that OS is in doubt, sadly.
!>

!How so?

Personel:
Well I do not wish to start on denigrating OS/2, which I think is a good product. Yet, after I bought 2.0 I will not upgrade to 2.1 because of the price, lack of software (or its cost), and because I feel IBM is not fully commited to it. Further now that MS-IBM code sharing agreement expired, what about the next window version ? IBM talks about buiding it own compatible API. Jesus !!!

Market:
Simply look at the numbers of what sells what ? Stagerring ! OS/2 is way behind, and many people buying IBM machines bundled with OS/2 are switching to windows (I have done this three times for people here at GaTech).

So does this leaves OS/2 ? I can't give it more than a very small niche market. It would take many huge MS blunders to change that. And I do not think they are like that.

I also use NeXT/486 which I just bought and even though it is the best thing I have seen (I am a 3th year Phd/CS) it doesn't have a chance. That is the market rule !

        JM Received on Tue Jul 06 1993 - 16:46:31 CEST

Original text of this message