Re: Oracle Support on ALPHA - Problems

From: <aguilbault_at_galaxy.gov.bc.ca>
Date: 6 Jul 93 06:37:31 -0700

In article <thompson.741362978_at_serts.gsfc.nasa.gov>, thompson_at_serts.gsfc.nasa.gov (William Thompson) writes:

> wilsone_at_decus.org.nz writes:
>

>>After assurances from Digital and Oracle that the Oracle RDMBS is
>>supported on Alpha we proceeded to upgrade our Vax cluster to include
>>an Alpha AXP 7000 machine.

>>The Alpha itself is a great machine, very quick, and it clusters
>>seamlessly with our existing Vaxes. We find, however, that when the
>>rubber hits the road, that we cannot get a supported v6 Oracle version
>>on the Alpha, and the promised supported v7 Oracle version is still not
>>available. In the mean time our Alpha sits idle.

>>We are currently running the majority of our Oracle databases on the
>>Vaxes on v6036. We wanted to simply transfer these to a v6.0.36 version
>>on the Alpha. The problems are as follows:
>>- We have v6.0.36 on Alpha, but is an "unsupported" version, so we
>> cannot run our live databases on that.
>>- We are told v6.0.37 will be available on Alpha, "supported as a
>> migration release", but "unsupported for live applications". We don't
>> yet have this software version, and can't run live databases on it
>> anyway as it is still not supported.
>>- We have just received v7.0.13 for Alpha, which is a supported version.
>> The catch with this is that it is supported only on AXP VMS v1.0. We
>> are running AXP VMS 1.5, which allows us to cluster the Alpha with the
>> existing Vaxes - AXP VMS 1.0 does not cluster. Once again we cannot
>> put our live applications on this version.

>>We would very much like to see v6.0.36 supported on Alpha, and supported
>>on AXP VMS v1.5, as this would allow us to move our applications without
>>requiring a simultaneous upgrade of our live applications to Oracle v7.

> This is disturbing to me.  I hope this is just a temporary problem caused by
> Alphas being so new.  I'm involved with two groups who want to use Oracle on
> Alpha workstations in the somewhat near future.  One group wants to use it in a
> VMS cluster, as in the posting above, whereas the other, which I'm more
> directly involved in, wants to use it with the OSF/1 operating system.  Is
> anyone aware of any problems using Oracle with OSF/1 on an Alpha workstation?
>
> Bill Thompson

This is distrubing to me too! I have just taken delivery of an ALPHA AXP 3000 model 400, which I intend to run as a dedicated ORACLE db server. Both DEC and ORACLE have given me assurances that this is a great combo... does anyone know any different?

Alan Guilbault		aguilbault_at_galazy.gov.bc.ca
BC Systems		(604) 389-3165

Victoria BC CANADA Received on Tue Jul 06 1993 - 15:37:31 CEST

Original text of this message