Oracle Implementations on new hardware

From: Derham McAven <mcavend_at_admin.chchp.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 18:13:35 GMT

WE suffered similar problems to those reported by DEC Alpha users when we tried in early 1992 to implement Oracle 6nnn on a DEC 433MP running SCO MPX as the operating system. The product was confirmed as being released to production and working. We got the engine running fine and produced good performances in single-user report generation mode but when it came to running client/server mode to stations running Oracle forms over the Novell network ( as declared in our pre-purchase negotiations ) the system would not run reliably. There was much buck-passing for months until eventually we pushed the DEC box to one side and implemented a Netware hosted server version which has worked really well since. Oracle has been very fair in not charging for the licences over the problem period and the New Zealand office tried hard to get fixes but nobody at HQ really picked up the problems.

We have reached the opinion that Oracle still concentrates its efforts in the mainframe world and the VAX userbase and lesser systems are very much aferthoughts. We are not going to upgrade to Oracle 7 for Netware until we have very strong favourable replies from users after at least 6 months experience.

[ Opinions are those of individuals - not of the employer. }

Derham McAven Received on Thu Jul 01 1993 - 20:13:35 CEST

Original text of this message