Moving from VMS to UNIX

From: Marc D. Behr <mbehr_at_dw3f.ess.harris.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1993 15:55:12 GMT

We currently are running several versions of Oracle on our VAX/VMS system and recently decided to move Oracle to a Sun 690 running SunOS 4.1.2. After paying for the conversion, we are now trying to determine the easiest way to move all of our VMS databases and supporting files (SQL*Forms, SQL*Menu, etc) to the UNIX environment.

I have created a database on the UNIX machine, exported the database on the VAX system and tried to import the data on the UNIX server. If I create the tablespaces to be the same size (I think that I am doing that, but I am not sure
since I have no Oracle, SQL or related training) and try to import the data,
I get tablespace too small errors. After increasing the tablespace, I can
get the database to load (I think).

Next, when I try to run the SQL*Menu applications, they are still pointing to the datafiles on the VAX.

At this point I am lost on how to get the applications to work on the UNIX server.

Any suggestions or places I can look for instructions would be appreciated.

Marc

/  Marc D. Behr               | inet: mbehr_at_ic1d.harris.com \

| Computer Systems Analyst | phone: (407) 984-5571 |
| Harris Corporation ISD | fax: (407) 984-6323 |
| P.O. Box 98000 | |