MEDALLION'S JANITORS AT O

From: Jared Hecker <jared.hecker_at_factory.com>
Date: 30 Jun 93 21:34:00 GMT

to.

LM>However, it seemed serious enough to deserve airing here.
LM>All of us who work in large office buildings might want to think
LM>and inquire about who's doing the dirty work.

Linda -

Propaganda is a beautiful thing. So are union contracts, to union officials, who happen to be the sponsors of this particular message.

I realize academics are naive in general but really, consider the source. Put on your cynical, capitalist running dog thinking cap and ask yourself, "Does the union have anything to gain here?". OK, that was an easy one.

Now for the interesting question: "Will the poor guy who was exploited for three years at Medallion be offered a union card?" I dare say not; union jobs are treasured positions to be dispensed to the fortunate few, not some immigrant with ideas of the US being the promised land. Note the analogy to political patronage.

Oh, by the way, does anyone happen to have any documentation on this? Again, I realize academia places little value on facts and evidence these days; still, when one is dealing with people's lives it is nice to have more to go on than an interested party's description of a perceived problem. And please don't try to excuse yourself as just passing on the article; one who uncritically passes along hearsay is not a thinking person.

jh

---
. MR/2 1.39x NR . Union card 007: licensed to rob