Re: ? Passing userid/password

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 30 Jun 1993 06:29:30 -0500

Paul Beardsell (paul_at_hoxton.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> In article <SSOMsATMBh107h_at_uidixon.uucp> uidixon!idixon_at_infocom.co.uk writes:

> >The problem is that password is not directly available from Forms but,
> >as long as the form is called from SQL*Menu, that can be solved. In Menu,
> >assign the menu variable PW to a global variable before calling the form.
> >In the form, name the global variable when calling the C program.

> Clever! Presumably the SQL*Menu command line is something like
> ORALOGIN=&UN/&PW export ORALOGIN ; runform foo &UN/&PW

> And then in the C program run from the form using #HOST get the login
> by using getenv("ORALOGIN").

Under our version of Unix (SunOS version something), using there is an option on ps (e to be precise) to display all the enviroment variables available to a process.

***HAVING THE PASSWORD AS AN ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE IS NOT SAFE*** This may not be the case under other OS's, but do you really want to risk this?

Either use an OPS$ username, or make it a user exit (which will give you the most flexability anyway).

--
< Tommy Wareing X p0070621_at_uk.ac.brookes X 0865-483389 >