Re: ORACLE ON MVS

From: Dave Dargo <dave_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1993 16:37:33 GMT

jared.hecker_at_factory.com (Jared Hecker) writes:

>PM>performance (are the overheads of a SNA network so large as to make
>PM>response times for a client server setup unusable?) and availability of
>No - and you have a choice of SQL*Net 3270 or APPC; obviously, LU6.2/APPC
>is preferred for PC clients. When you run a 3270, the 'client' piece will
>run on the host. Overall, Oracle when properly tuned will run as fast as
>DB/2. Ihaven't seen Adabas since 1982, so I can't compare the two.

When you run as a 3270 the client is on the host (TSO or CICS)> When you run with SQL*Net 3270 the client is on the client machine. We also support TCP/IP on MVS.

>Yup, SQL*QMX is it. Re client-server tools, it all depends on the gateway.
>Client-server can't speed up a network, after all; it just gives you more
>processing options.

Actually, SQL*Plus, SQL*Reportwriter (runtime) and SQL*Forms V 2.3/3.0 are supported on MVS.

Dave
(ddargo_at_oracle.com) Received on Wed Jun 30 1993 - 18:37:33 CEST

Original text of this message