Re: Remote Operating System Authentication V 7.0

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_dlogics.dlogics.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 15:16:13

stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com () writes:
> I'm attempting to get remote operating system authentication working
> (so far without success). Here's the setup...
> 1. Can SQL*net V1.2 with DECNet support remote operating system
> authentication (and if so, how?)

Yes you can use sqlnet 1.2 with os auth. Did you specify SQLNET_USER = name in the CONFIG.ORA or ORACLE.INI file? Otherwise oracle cannot tell the server who you are. Some versions of the sqlnet code (for v6) use a USER = name parameter instead; you can include them both if you wish.

> or
>
> 2. Can SQL*net V1.2 with TCP/IP support remote OS authentication?
> (if so, please provide examples).

Same answer. It doesn't matter what the transport method is (decnet or tcp/ip) since it's the SqlNet protocol that transmits the authentication.

> 3. How will things change under SQL*Net V2.0?

They will change a lot, on the server side; the good thing is that your client can still use sqlnet 1.2.

p.s., if you still have troubles, tell the net the specific ORA-number you are receiving. good luck!

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc
441 W Huron / Chicago IL 60610 / +1-312-266-4450 / "Just show me the code"