PRO*COBOL problem

From: Ivan Saez <rcivan_at_rwb.urc.tue.nl>
Date: 20 Jun 1993 13:08:58 +0200

Hello,

 We have a problem with a pro*cobol program on a VAX/VMS machine. When we run  this program we get all the time an ACCESS VIOLATION.  Using the debugger we discovered that the access violation is generated when  calling the SQLBEX routine.
 We use :

  • Oracle version 6.0.36.7.0
  • pro*cobol version 1.4.11.2.0
  • VMS version 5.5-2
  • Cobol version 5.5-10

We did a test : we copied the object file to another VAX/VMS (with Oracle 6.0.33) and linked it. The program run successfully. Now we had two possible causes for our problem : Oracle or the cobol runtime library (COBRTL). At this time we called Oracle. It wasn't a known problem to them so they asked us to send them a copy of the pro*cobol program. They had no problem with the program. They used the same Oracle version we have but an older version of Cobol compiler. So their suggestion was : install a previous version of the cobol compiler.
Then we called DEC and they told us that it is possible to install a previous version but that this is not a supported action! So this is our dilemma. Do you have any suggestions?

                                                    Ivan
--
Ivan Saez Scheihing , Eindhoven University of Technology
Computing Centre 1.62,  +31 40 474428