Re: What causes "shutdown immediate" to fail?

From: Michael Collier <sd345_at_city.ac.uk>
Date: 17 Jun 93 14:07:15 GMT

>karell_at_cs.Helsinki.FI (Esa Karell) writes:

>Under Unix, Shutdown Immediate will fail if it is used
>"sqldba shutdown immediate"
>For some reason, if you enter sqldba, then give the shutdown command
>it will work more reliably. This can be done in shell scripts via
>the "Here is" constructs.

I asked a similar sort of question a few months ago. I appears that sqldba only looks at its first argument, so `sqldba shutdown immediate' is acually just `sqldba shutdown', and so hangs if there are still people on.

Fix with either a here document (mentioned above)...

	sqldba << EOF
	shutdown immediate
	exit
	EOF

...or...

        sqldba command="shutdown immediate"

I have been using the second technique successfully for a long time. I also think it looks neater than the first?

Michael.

--
Michael Collier (Programmer)                 The Computer Unit,
Email: M.P.Collier_at_uk.ac.city                The City University,