Re: TRANSACTION MONITORS

From: Donal Daly <ddaly_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 14 Jun 93 10:19:29 GMT

In article <3736.1599.uupcb_at_factory.com>, jared.hecker_at_factory.com (Jared Hecker) writes: |>
|> EW>There is however a standard interface being drafted at the moment
|> EW>called "XATMI" (X/Open Application Transaction Management Interface)
|> EW>which will standardise the TM<-->application interface - it is just
|> EW>reaching X/open Preliminary Specification Stage.
|>
|> Not so new - Top End and Encina built XA support into their initial
|> offerings. In fact, that's all Encina supports, which locks it out of a
|> lot of prospective sights.

I don't mean to be picky but... XA <> XATMI. They are completely different standards. The XA specification, which is a CAE Specification, is concerned with the communication between the the Resource Manager (i.e. Oracle, Informix) and the Transaction Manager (i.e. TOP END, TUXEDO, ENCINA). The XATMI specification, which is still a snapshot, is as correctly stated above, concerned with the Transaction Manager, application interface.

Alas, we are still waiting for the XATMI specification to reach a more matured stage, where hopefully TP vendors will implement the API, and we can write standard TP applications which will interwork with more than one TP monitor.

The only interoperability, which I am aware of at present, is that TOP END for NCR will/does provide a TUXEDO compatibility layer. But you need to ask NCR for more information about that.

Donal

Donal Daly     	  	E-mail     :  ddaly_at_ie.oracle.com    	Oracle Europe,
S/W Engineer      	Telephone  :  +353 1 2834700  Xtn275	Temple Road,
			Fax        :  +353 1 2834732 		Blackrock,
								Co. Dublin,
								Ireland.
Any opinions expressed above are my own!