Oracle6 SQL*Net TCP/IP 1.1 use DNS instead of HOSTS file?

From: Mark Bixby <markb_at_spock.dis.cccd.edu>
Date: 10 Jun 1993 15:41:39 -0700

We have PC client software calling SQL*Net TCP/IP 1.1 which in turn calls FTP Software's PC/TCP 2.11 to do the actual network stuff. The PC/TCP layer supports using Domain Name Servers instead of a HOSTS file to resolve host names; yet our PC client fails to resolve anything if there is no HOSTS file configured in CONFIG.ORA.

We tried omitting TCP_HOSTS_FILE from CONFIG.ORA. No luck. We tried specifying a blank filename. No luck.

Can it be done? Has anybody gotten PC Oracle clients to resolve host names using the DNS abilities of PC/TCP?

--
Mark Bixby                         Internet: markb_at_cccd.edu
Coast Community College District   1370 Adams Avenue