Re: Can the VMS DELETE statement "pend"?

From: Paul Repacholi <zrepachol_at_cc.curtin.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1993 21:53:39 GMT

In article <DMD.93Jun9094321_at_wpi.WPI.EDU>, dmd_at_wpi.WPI.EDU (David M. Desroches) writes:

>> In article Chris Little writes:
>> this happened; I never thought a VMS DELETE statement would pend.
>> Is that possible?

> Were you using the /LOG qualifier in your delete to ensure that the
> file was indeed deleted? Any error messages during the execution of
> the DCL script? Also, is your file version limit set to 1?

A delete 'pending' is not only possible, its normal. As the file is open the delete won't complete till the file is closed. In this case, by the import job. Putting a /log on the delete won't make any difference in this case, as the delete does succeed, but won't complete and release the space till the import job closes the file.

~Paul Received on Thu Jun 10 1993 - 23:53:39 CEST

Original text of this message