Re: Oracle*Terminal and PC keys remapping

From: Brian Shensky <shensky_at_umcc.umcc.umich.edu>
Date: 8 Jun 1993 12:12:43 -0400

nolan_at_helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) writes:

>ak730_at_yfn.ysu.edu (Brian C. Shensky) writes:

>:I don't know how many of you have played with Oracle Terminal, but I have
>:a *strange* situation...Is there any way to remap the 101-key keyboard's
>:numeric keypad keys, especially the /*-+ keys to the right of the NumLock
>:key? How about using F11 and F12? Can the grey cursor movement keys be
>:mapped separately from the keypad equivalents?

>:Obviously, there must be *some* way to distinguish the /*-+ keypad keys
>:from those on the qwerty keyboard, since I have programs which can
>:differentiate between the two. Any ideas? All appreciated!

>Well, I'm assuming you're using a PC with a terminal emulator (vt100, etc.),
>and logging into Oracle on a mini or mainframe. (In my case, Oracle 7 on
>a unix system.)

>It appears that basically all the non-typewriter keyboard keys on a PC can
>be remapped with Oracle Terminal, providing that the Terminal Emulator
>being used on the PC can handle it. (Procomm Plus, for example, lets you
>remap just about all of them, but reserves the ALT combinations for itself.)

>For example, we have remapped Procomm Plus's VT100 mode to reassign the
>numeric keypad back to a numeric keypad, and use the HOME-END-PGUP-PDGN-
>INSERT-DELETE and F1-12 groups in a mapping that attempts to minimize
>operator keystrokes for common functions in Oracle Forms.
>---
>Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
>nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
>(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)

Whoops...I guess I didn't make it clear enough. I'm aware of all the VT-style remapping that can go on, but my problem here has to do with the native DOS version of Oracle and the suite of tools. Apparently, Oracle Terminal provides logical key cap names for either bios key scan codes or ANSI.SYS driver scan codes ... the problem lies as to whether or not the /*-+ keypad keys have different scan codes from the same keys on the qwerty cluster.

Dum-de-dum-de-dum....

-Bri Received on Tue Jun 08 1993 - 18:12:43 CEST

Original text of this message