Formatted text into SQL*LOADER Long fields? How?

From: Coen Fischer <coen_at_rivm.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1993 15:50:13 GMT

As the subject suggests, I would like to know a way to coax SQL*LOADER into accepting formatted text.

We want to put formatted text in a long field in a table, but SQL*LOADER interprets the newline as the end of a physical record. The result is that:

CREATE VIEW dummy AS

(	SELECT *
	FROM	sys.dual

)

appears as:

CREATE VIEW dummy AS( SELECT * FROM sys.dual)

According to ORACLE tech support (netherlands) there is no known easy way around this. You could use a translate function when reading in the data, but this works only for the first 250 characters or so, though the number seems to be higher for ORACLE7.

For several reasons we like to use SQL*LOADER for this purpose. So PRO*C solutions and insert statements are out.

Is there a solution out there? If so, please mail me.

Versions:	Oracle RDBMS 6.0.36
		SQL*LOADER 1.1.9.0.1

D A T A B A S E C O M P E T E N C E C E N T R E
Coen Fischer ISC coen_at_rivm.nl S-315 tel. ..(31)30 - 742961 RIVM Bilthoven The Netherlands